Scalr is an information technology (IT) vendor that offers management platforms for cloud computing. The company targets its cloud management platforms at organizations with a multicloud strategy, and aims to give users a single interface to manage multiple cloud environments.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
The purpose of a cloud management platform is to give organizations administrative control over public, private or hybrid clouds. These platforms generally allow cloud administrators to access and manage cloud instances, enable worklflow automation and monitor cloud utilization and costs.
The main features of Scalr's cloud management platform include:
- Cost analytics – Users can track cloud spending, make financial reports and create customizable alerts to avoid exceeding their budget.
- Orchestration engine – Enables automated workflows and lets users create orchestration rules to automatically execute scripts. Admins can also use the task scheduler to schedule the execution of scripts.
- Authentication – Supports centralized authentication and authorization with Microsoft Active Directory or OpenLDAP. Users can also set up single sign-on across their hybrid clouds.
- Automated tagging – Lets users add tags to cloud resources upon launch to help track usage and costs.
- Reusable templates – Gives cloud developers and engineers pre-made templates to streamline application development. Users can also create self-service catalogs.
- Governance – Allows administrators to create and enforce governance policies across their cloud infrastructure.
Scalr offers three versions of its cloud management platform:
- Hosted is a software as a service version designed for smaller businesses.
- Enterprise is aimed at larger and government organizations, and comes with additional features, such as service-level agreement support. This version can be implemented on-premises.
- Community is a free, open source version that is designed for testing, and comes with no Scalr support.
The Scalr platform can work with cloud platforms from Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform Microsoft Azure, Rackspace, IDC Frontier, Apache CloudStack, OpenStack, VMware, HP Helion, Mirantis, and Cisco. It supports operating systems including Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Debian, and Windows Server.
Scalr was founded by Sebastian Stadil in 2007 and its headquarters are in San Francisco, Calif. It is used by CIOs, DevOps teams and other IT professionals.