Premium Content

Access "News in review: Amazon Glacier puts the freeze on tape "

Published: 15 Nov 2012

Ten years ago, a storage executive at an early disk-based backup vendor said to me, “I’ve sold $100 million in tape systems that no one wanted to buy.” Fast-forward to today, and enterprises are still begrudgingly buying tape and tape drives. However, new entrants in the cloud archiving market may finally signal the beginning of the end for tape in the enterprise. The worldwide information archiving market is robust and growing, thanks to ever-increasing data and compliance requirements. According to a recent report by The Radicati Group, a market research firm, the market will be more than $3 billion by year’s end and will grow to $6.3 billion in 2016. Currently, cloud-based services already account for 31% of that market, while on-premises solutions—including tape—garner the remaining 69%. Cloud Services Tip the Tape Scales? But tape certainly isn’t driving archiving growth. Market research firm Santa Clara Consulting Group found that the market for backup tape drive and media dropped to $1.33 billion in 2011, down 14.7% from the previous year, and is off ... Access >>>

Access TechTarget
Premium Content for Free.

By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy

What's Inside

Features

More Premium Content Accessible For Free

  • Cloud data encounters global challenges
    MI_0714.png
    E-Zine

    Cloud services and data could be located anywhere -- and that's a scary proposition for many enterprises, especially after ongoing revelations of ...

  • Hold on loosely: Data center outsourcing in the modern age
    datacenter_outsourcing.png
    E-Handbook

    Wholesale colocation solutions often provide organizations with a number of financial and logistical benefits. But data center outsourcing, though a ...

  • To converge or not: Drama-free infrastructure solutions for IT
    drama-free_infrastructure.png
    E-Handbook

    Some IT pros look at mainframes as converged infrastructure. Some see the flexibility and scalability of server farms, or outsourcing to MSPs and ...